Monday, March 24, 2008

"The Files"

In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I found myself in a room filled with small files, which seemed to go on forever. The first file to catch my attention read "Boys I Have Liked." I quickly shut the file, shocked to realize that I knew these boys. And then, I knew exactly where I was. This lifeless room was a card catalog system for my life. Here were written the actions of every single moment.

I began randomly opening files and exploring their contents. Some brought joy and sweet memories: others a sense of shame and regret so intense that I would look over my shoulder to see if anyone was watching. The files ranged from "Friends", to "Friends I Have Betrayed." "Lies I Have Told," "Comfort I Have Given," "Things I Have Mutter Under My Breath." I never ceased to be surprised by the contents. It didn't seem possible that I could have written all of these cards, but each card was in my own handwriting, and each signed with my signature.
When I came to one marked "Lustful Thoughts," I felt a chill run through my body. I pulled the file out only an inch, and shuddered at it's detailed content. Rage exploded within me. NO ONE MUST EVER SEE THESE CARDS! I HAVE TO DESTROY THEM! In an insane frenzy, I yanked the file out and began pounding it on the floor, but I couldn't dislodge a single card. I tried to tear a single card, only to find that it was as hard as steel. Defeated and helpless, I let out a long sigh, and then I saw it. The title read "People with Whom I Have Shared The Gospel." The handle was brighter than those around it. Newer, Almost unused. I could count the cards it contained on one hand.

I fell to my knees and cried out of shame--the overwhelming shame of it all. But as I pushed away the tears I saw Him. No! NOT HERE. ANYONE BUT JESUS. Why did he have to go through every one? He seemed intuitively to go to the worst boxes. I dropped my head and covered my face with my hands. He walked over and put His arms around me. He could have said so many things, but he didn't say a word. He just cried with me. He got up and went back to the first file and began signing his name over mine. "No!" I shouted. I grabbed the card from him and there it was-- written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. The name of Jesus covered mine, it was written with His blood.

He gently took the card back and continued signing. I don't know how He did it so quickly, but the next instant it seemed I heard Him close the last file and walk back to my side, He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, "It is finished." I stood up, and He led me out of the room. There was no lock on the door. There were still cards to be written

1 comment:

d.s.daugherty said...

THIS IS FOOD FOR THOUGHT...THE LORD KNOWS ALL AND SEES ALL.THE CARD THE WOMAN GRABBED FROM JESUS REMINDS ME OF EASTER,YES EASTER! WHEN WE COME TO CHRIST,GOD NOT ONLY FORGIVES US,HE ALSO ADOPTS US.BECAUSE OF HIS JUSTICE HE CANNOT DISMISS OUR SIN.SO,GOD BECAME FLESH AND PUNISHED HIMSELF ON THE CROSS FOR OUR SINS.WE ARE FORGIVEN.IT IS MOST WOUNDERFUL THAT THE WOMANS CARD WAS COVERED WITH THE NAME OF JESUS AND WRITTEN IN HIS OWN BLOOD! THE STORY DOES NOT END WITH GOD'S FORGIVENESS...D.S.DAUGHERTY